www.flickr.com

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Arendt

"I don't belong to any group. You know the only group I ever belonged to were the Zionists. This was only because of Hitler, of course. And this was from '33 to '43. And after that I broke. The only possibility to fight back as a Jew and not as a human being -- which I thought was a great mistake, because if you are attacked as a Jew, you have got to fight back as a Jew, you cannot say, "Excuse me, I am not a Jew; I am a human being." This is silly. And I was surrounded by this kind of silliness. There was no other possibility, so I went into Jewish politics -- not really politics -- I went into social work and was somehow also connected with politics.": #Arendt

 "I don't know. I really don't know and I've never known. And I suppose I never had any such position. You know the left think that I am conservative, and the conservatives sometimes think I am left or I am a maverick or God knows what. And I must say I couldn't care less. I don't think that the real questions of this century will get any kind of illumination by this kind of thing." #Arendt

No comments: